Learning More About Your Accident

How To Seek Compensation For A Wrongful Death On A Corporate Property

When corporations own property, they are responsible for making sure that the property is safe when it is open to the public. If your loved one is killed on property that is owned by a corporation, that company will be responsible for the death of your loved one if certain conditions apply. If you're not sure if you'll be able to seek compensation, it's important to consult with a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible.

How a Wrongful Death Might Occur 

When entering the store of a well-known company, your loved one might come in contact with a dangerous situation, such as exposed electrical wires. If your loved one passes away and they were not trespassing, the corporation will have liability because premise liability is considered a strict form of liability. If you are able to prove that the corporation was aware of the dangerous situation, you may be entitled to compensation depending on your relationship with the deceased.

Injuries and death most often occur on properties that are not properly maintained. There might be other complaints that the building is in disrepair or is unsanitary. If you are able to locate witnesses who can testify to the condition of the building, you will be able to use this testimony to prove that the property owner was negligent and that this negligence lead to your loved one's death.

Settlements with a Corporation

Most corporations that own property will have insurance that covers any liability they might have. Your wrongful death attorney will contact the insurance provider and will attempt to negotiate a settlement. Reaching a settlement is the best approach because it is much more affordable than taking your case to court.

The insurance provider will do everything possible to avoid liability and to minimize the extent to where you will be compensated. For example, the adjuster might seek to argue that your loved one was partially responsible for the accident.

Punitive Damages

In addition to normal damages such as pain and suffering, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. However, to be able to be awarded these damages, you must show that there was a willful and malicious action taken by the corporation. This can be difficult to prove because most situations like this will simply be the result of the carelessness of the management maintaining the property, but there is no reason why you shouldn't make an attempt with the help of a wrongful death attorney.

For more information, contact a wrongful death attorney today.

About Me

Learning More About Your Accident

How much do you really know about the day you got into a car accident? If you are working by yourself, it might be hard to find out who the other drivers were that caused the accident, what the traffic camera footage shows, and how many police officers arrived to help. However, if you make the right decision and work with an accident attorney, he or she can do all of the detective work for you. I know how important knowing the facts can be when you are researching your case, which is why I want to spread the word about working with a lawyer.